PARIS – Agence France-Presse
Flights at Paris’ Orly airport were returning to normal on March 19 a day after a man triggered a major security alert and travel chaos when he attacked a soldier before being shot dead.
Anti-terror investigators on March 19 released the father of the assailant but were continuing to hold his brother and cousin as they sought to build a profile of Ziyed Ben Belgacem, a 39-year-old French
All three family members had made contact with the police themselves, Paris
prosecutor Francois Molins told a press conference late on March 18.
Molins said Ben Belgacem grabbed a female soldier and put a gun to her head, seizing her assault rifle.
“Put your weapons down, hands on your heads. I’m here to die for Allah. In any case, people are going to die,” the attacker told the troops in Molins’s account of the attack.
He tried to use the soldier as a human shield but she dropped to her knees, giving her two colleagues an opportunity to shoot him.
Ben Belgacem was carrying a petrol can in a backpack as well as a copy of the Koran, Molins said.
Officials say he had a string of criminal convictions and was previously investigated for links to radical Islam.
An autopsy was set to determine if he was under the effects of alcohol or drugs during the attack, the sources said.
A small amount of cocaine and a machete were found during a search of his apartment in in the northern Paris
suburb of Garges-les-Gonesse on the afternoon of March 18.
Flights were halted at Orly for several hours following the shooting, which happened just before 8:30 a.m. (7:30 a.m. GMT). Around 3,000 people were evacuated from the building.
“The air traffic is fairly normal,” a spokesman for the Paris
airport authority told AFP early on March 19.
“There are however still some slight delays, of on average around 20 minutes.”
About 100 people who were unable to board flights slept at Orly in beds provided by the airport, while 100 to 200 others spent the night at hotels provided by airlines.
Molins said Ben Belgacem had also fired at police in Garges-les-Gonesse earlier on March 18, slightly injuring one officer in the head.
His father and brother told investigators he had contacted them an hour and a half after that incident, telling them he had ‘done something stupid.’
His 35-year-old cousin had also met with the suspect in a bar on the night of March 17.
The incident comes as France remains on high alert following a series of jihadist attacks that have claimed more than 230 lives since January 2015.
Just last week French
Justice Minister Jean-Jacques Urvoas said that the country had “created the conditions that make it possible to exit the state of emergency, without weakening ourselves or remaining helpless in the face of the threat of terrorism,” The Associated Press reported.